Ultraviolet is used in the finishing, varnishing and laminating of furniture and woodwork.
UV coatings are often used in furniture production because they can offer certain advantages such as increased hardness & durability, and increased solvent resistance.
Other advantages of using ultraviolet curable coatings in woodworking are:
- Quality– higher quality finished products.
- Speed– the curing process can take less than five seconds, line speed is increased because products can be immediately handled and packaged.
- Space– Shorter finishing lines create more floor space.
- High solids– resulting in little or no volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Cost– reduced labour costs due to faster and easier production, and reduced insurance premiums as fire-risk is reduced.
- Less Waste